When I was working as a full-time managing editor, I found it extremely difficult to live a healthy lifestyle. I would spend long hours at the office just sitting at my desk, writing and editing articles. I used to run a lot (I even ran a marathon once), but as my workload got heavier, I found myself working out less and eating more. I have to admit, it was really hard for me to resist sweets, so whenever a bag of goodies would arrive at the office, I always had to have my share. Our food editor was also an excellent cook so whenever she would prepare dishes for an upcoming issue, the team would always get delicious, free meals!
Perhaps it was this combination of stress and unhealthy eating habits—not to mention the fact that I’m now in my thirties—that led me to gain weight and have a host of health problems over the years. Last year, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and just last July, I had some myomas removed via a laparoscopic surgery. This was part of the reason why I decided to take a break from full-time work. I needed to take care of my health so I could continue doing what I loved and taking care of the people I loved.
Last month, I was lucky enough to be invited to an event that was perfectly aligned with my goal of having a healthier lifestyle. Entitled “Refresh Your Health,” the event taught me a few things I could do to live a more well-balanced life.
1. Develop a regular yoga practice. The event started out with a 30-minute yoga session led by GoWell ambassador, Bubbles Paraiso. I’ve always believed that yoga is a great way to strengthen the body and calm the mind. Now that I’m cleared to start working out again, I hope to develop a more regular yoga practice. (For days when I can’t go to a yoga studio, I practice yoga at home by following this YouTube channel.)
Of course, it’s even better when you have a community to support you. If you’re looking for resources on holistic wellness and people to help you fulfill your workout goals, check out GoWell. (The Bull Runner Jaymie Pizarro, one of my ultimate running idols, is a GoWell ambassador too!)
The yoga class was held at Fairmont Makati’s clean and spacious fitness center.
2. Choose the right beauty products—or better yet, make your own! It’s no secret that many products in the market today are filled with toxic chemicals. If you’ll be applying something to your skin every day, you better make sure it’s safe. One way to do that is to make your own beauty products—that way, you know exactly what you’re putting in your body. I thought it would be hard, but turns out, it’s super easy! I even managed to make my own body polish using Himalayan salt and coconut oil, as well as a refreshing Lavender Peppermint Mist.
3. Apply acupressure on your face. Did you know that applying pressure on different points of your face can produce a variety of interesting results? For instance, pressing on point 1 (see image below) can calm the mind and relieve stiff neck and headaches. A representative from Kerstin Florian, a line of award-winning beauty products featuring natural, plant- and marine-based, active ingredients, taught us how to do this 16-point acupressure facial exercise. Now this is one workout I can easily do every day!
4. Have a massage. There’s nothing like a relaxing massage to release the tension from one’s day. The Willow Stream Spa at Fairmont Makati focuses on energy renewal. I’m glad I got to try their massage—from the peaceful ambiance and the soothing music to their well-trained staff, it was definitely one of the most relaxing massages I’ve ever had. Visit their website to see their other offerings.
5. Go on a wellness retreat. I cannot express enough how wonderful it feels—and how absolutely necessary it is for one’s sanity—to take a few days off to nourish oneself. And I don’t mean a hectic vacation with a packed itinerary, where you come back feeling even more tired! What I mean is a retreat where you can take a few days off to spend some quiet moments in reflection. With an emphasis on health and wellness through fitness, movement, travel, and healthy eating, Flow Retreats are the perfect way to nourish your body, mind, and soul. Check out FlowRetreats.com for upcoming retreats in Baler and El Nido.
If you don’t want to go too far from the city, check out Flow Retreats’ fun, halloween-themed event this weekend.